(0) Board is two-dimensional table with configured columns and swimlanes (the later is optional). Specific columns and swimlanes are mapped to values of standard and custom fields of Jira issues.
(1) Some of templates come pre-configured columns (mapped values). The default option is a single “Others“ column with all not-mapped issues
Add / Edit / Remove Columns & Swimlanes
(2) Click “+” to add new column / value mapped
(3) Drag and drop issues between columns to change the value of configured standard or custom fields for selected Jira issues. All the changes are applied automatically and you do not need to commit it after.
We use Jira Rank to define the order of the Issues on the board. So, by moving items within columns/swimlanes you can also change the Rank that will be maintained and changed in Jira automatically.
(4) Same logic goes for Swimlanes. In addition, moving Jira issue into new column & swimlane automatically changes the value of both standard / custom fields configured.
e.g. In the picture below we have a Version Board with columns configured and fixVersion and swimlanes configured as affectsVersion
Moving “Test Story“ automatically alters fix- and affects-Version to new values specified.
(5) To Edit column value, Change title, Add or Remove one move mouse to selected column and you will receive a tooltip with all the available options:
e.g. let’s click on Edit
(6) Same goes for Swimlanes:- put mouse on one of them to Edit column value, Change title, Add or Remove.
e.g. let’s click on Edit
By clicking on the issue you can now open a standard Jira Issue dialog. Thus, you can view all the details or make changes to the issue w/o leaving the board.
You can configure Work-in-Progress (WIP) limits for columns, swimlanes and their intersections.
To make it for Swimlanes click Swimlane “Edit“. In popup dialog you can specify Min and Max values as well as color code how you want to highlight swimlanes for exceeding the limits.
To do the same for columns click on Column “Edit”. The functionality is the same if you want WIP limits for entire column. But you can also make it more granular and define WIP limits per swimlanes in the column. For this click on “WIP by swimlane“ toggle.
Column Groups and Combined WIPs
You can create group of columns to combine some logical items. E.g. if you have too detailed statuses for your workflow for better tracking you can now aggregate them into logical groups. To do so click “Groups“ on control panel and select neighboring columns to combine:
Only neighboring columns could be grouped (!)
Once you have your group defined you can now assign a Combined WIP. Click “Edit“ icon of the group to select Min/Max and appropriate color coding.
Since you might have multiple WIPs applied with different color coding the order how different WIPs are applied is the following:
Column WIPs / with Swimlane WIPs
Link issues with Drag-and-drop and Show dependencies
(7) Our board also can identify the links between the issues. To try it out click Dependencies toggle in the top right corner
To create any link put a mouse onto bottom right corner of the card to get a red anchor. If it’s not there please make sure “Dependencies“ toggle is ON. Click on red anchor and move the mouse towards the issue you want to link.
Drop the mouse. Issues link pop up with show up. Please select the type of the link and click “Link“.
The dependency will be visualized on the board.
To delete the link please click on any issue of the two and delete it from Issue view dialog.
Alternatively you can click on any dependency and tap “delete“ button. Confirmation screen will pop up to confirm “unlinking“ the issues.
Statistics by Story Points, Hours and Issue Count
Click on Board settings and scroll to “Statistics by“ config. “Issue Count“ is the default answer. Expending the drop down you can change it to Story points or Hours.
We support Story Points fields for Company Managed and Team Managed Projects.
On issue card
Once Story points or Hours are selected you will always see the total on the issue card.
On columns and swimlanes
To turn on totals in Story points, hours or Issue Count for Swimlanes and Columns toggle “Statistics“ on.
We will show stats also if columns and/or swimlanes are collapsed.
Some useful tips & tricks
In-line creating issues
(8) To create issue on the board click on the "+" inside any cell to popup standard Jira issue creation dialog. Upon creation appropriate values from column/swimlane will be assigned to put issue in the cell selected.
(9) If you want to accommodate more/less issues on one screen feel free to use our Zooming Options
(10) We have native support for Flagged Issues. Thus we color code them accordingly. Plus you can add/remove the flag directly from the board.
(11) Using the App ourselves we realized that we are too often have to change JQL in the board settings to filter out additional issues. Therefore we introduced quick filter concept to define additional JQL filters and apply directly from the board.
(12) In addition to quick filters you can use predefined filter by Projects. The dropdown will let you choose 1 or few projects you picked up for your board.
Copy board link
(13) To share the link to the board view your peers please select “Copy link“ icon at the upper right hand corner.
Epic link on the card
(14) If the issue belongs to Epic an Epic Link will be outlined on the card. Once you click on it Jira standard issue screen will show up with Epic details.
Story/Task headers for Subtasks
(15) If your JQL filter for the board includes Subtasks issuetype all the Subtasks will have a special header outlining parent Story/Task. We also plan shortly to make it clickable so you can open your parent task dialog.